Cloth diapers got me totally cray cray y’all. And I mean they’ve captured my very soul and essence. So obviously the letter C was bound to be my favourite one in the #AtoZChallenge
I’ve written many posts about Cloth Diapering, but still its never enough. And i think you will agree when I say that you have never met (ok maybe barring 1 – 2 people) anyone who cloth diapers and is NOT obsessed with them. I am the biggest example of that and everything mentioned here in this post is about me. 🙂 Quite shamelessly too!
But why are most new moms obsessed with cloth diapers?
Here’s my feeble attempt to justify all my CD obsessions by giving seemingly valid and scientific reasons for the insanity.
- Fuels the nesting syndrome – Did you pregnant mommies, find yourself collecting baby stuff, cleaning, and de-cluttering your homes and spaces a few months before you gave birth? Well that was the nesting syndrome – nature’s tug of hormones to get you prepared for the change that was about to smack you in the face. Now add to that your endless searches on online shopping portals in the baby products category and “hey wait a minute what is this cute print and what are those buttons … oh my, its a nappy. Wait it doesn’t leak, holds for hours on end, is reusable.. and wait it comes in designs featuring owls, isn’t that like the “in-thing” on the catwalk this season?” You’re done for now. And then you begin collecting – you need owls, penguins and pretty little stars and prints about the monsoon and cars & trucks on your baby. And soon you are sitting on a stash of 20 cloth diapers. That’s just the beginning…
- Cloth Diapers mould you into a routine – Cloth diapers are fun and pretty, but they also need a lot of love and care. It is definitely not difficult to do that but it takes time, effort and repetition and that sets you into a routine. And routines are satisfying – the lull of a routine is kind of like a drug, it is therapy for when you are wound up and need calming down. Parenting is a lot about setting good routines for your child and can also help parents get used to the new roles and responsibilities that come with a new addition to the family. And cloth diapering is one area where you can have plenty of that joy. Routines are comforting. Hence you should cloth diaper.
- Scoring cloth diapers – For those of you who don’t know cloth diapers are few and moms who want them are many and that means you got to earn it. Cloth Diapers are stocked online at certain preset times and then when the clock says go, moms the world over (I have scored diapers at unGodly hours like 3 am all the way in the USA) go for the kill. Imagine this, a store in the USA announces a new diaper (“Oh my God, a Vincent Van Gogh print.”), they do a big reveal (“Ooooh I want that diaper, if that’s the last diaper I ever own.”), they announce a stocking (stalking more like.) and its set for 10 am CST (do you even know America has 6 time zones? Well I do and my favourite is Central because it converts well to the Indian time zone :P), you convert it to IST – that’s 830 am for us (that’s a perfectly decent time to wake up to in India) and you wait, 825 am you are logged in, with your credit card close by and hitting refresh a million times. 830 am and the screen comes alive with all the products listed – you hunt, you kill, you check out, you have a confirmation. You have just scored a DIAPER. Now did you enjoy that ride? Just imagine how it feels to be actually doing it. That is why we love cloth diapers. 🙂
The sense of achievement and the rush of adrenaline and dopamine are so good for the brain. And the diaper is your trophy. 🙂
- Feels like being in love – just like being in love makes you go crazy in the head a little bit, cloth diaper obsessions fuel that happy, delirious feeling.
Blame it on post partum hormones, combined with an array of tempting designs and prints, a variety of diapering systems and types, satisfaction of using a cloth that is so effective in doing its job without too many bloopers and the fact that you are saving tons and tons of waste from ending up in landfills, you have a lethal combination of the love potion.Your brain and body are rife with the race of serotonin and you are in love, love, love.. so you don’t see that the diapers are laced with poop, which you need to scrape off, run two washes – preferably hot, multiple rinses, need special but no-frills detergent and time in the sun.
- Love takes effort and you are in it for keeps. <3
- I need a point number 5 yougaaiz, so I created this one (yes I have an OCD and so I cloth diaper. Even OCD has CD in it) Ok so let me collect my senses here and tell you why I really love cloth diapers and am obsessed with them. a) After experiencing horrific blowouts with disposables that couldn’t hold my exclusively breast fed baby’s poop, I can assure you cloth diapers hold it all in. Even the worst of pooplosions, all contained! b) I have never bought a tube of rash cream for babyT ever. That’s how safe and amazing cloth diapers are. c) I am saving so much waste from ending up in landfills. You should visit a beach front in Mumbai at the onset of monsoon, to understand how much backwash turns up on the beach and how much of it is sanitary waste. Read: disposable diapers and sanitary pads. d) Using cloth diapers has made me more aware of how my actions impact the Earth and I have adopted sustainable modes of living in other areas of my life too.
Cloth Diapering has certainly been one of the best decisions I have made. I am proud of all it has done for me and our family. It has opened up our lives to so much more than just diapers. If you have a baby in diapers, make sure it is cloth. And if you need any help with that, I’m all ears. 🙂